Friday, December 25, 2009

Ode to Tradition - Christmas Eve at the Frisco Shop



You may have noticed that my profile pic, the one I consistently use to identify my blog, shows the Frisco Shop sign in the background. The Frisco Shop sign symbolizes everything that the Austin Food Journey is about. An Austin landmark, the Frisco Shop has managed to hold on to the past while adapting to the demands of a changing world. Like the city it has served since 1953, the Frisco Shop's appeal defies explanation and yet it endures.

Yesterday, Christmas Eve, I had lunch at the Frisco Shop with my daughter and my son and my son's girlfriend. We were all a little cranky and stressed out trying to finish our last minute holiday shopping. After we sat down at one of the  booths, I mentioned that when I was growing up, it was a family tradition to go to the Frisco Shop on Christmas Eve. I told them how I will always associate the Frisco Shop with the feeling of anticipation and excitement of knowing that Christmas is almost here.

This moment offered a brief respite from our bickering, but the story was apropos of my Austin journey. Moving back home to Austin after twenty years away has been a lesson in dichotomy. Finding my place here means embracing a newer Austin while accepting an older me. I have great memories of growing up in Austin, but even great memories are formed out of something that was lost. The problem with nostalgia is that it also serves as evidence that even the best things in life are temporary. I think that's why we call them treasures. Merry Christmas!

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment