Tuesday, December 22, 2009

An American Girl Goes Global on the Christmas Dinner Menu



I care about you Readers. I really do. So much so, that I'm planning my Christmas meal around what you might find interesting.

My super spectacular sister has purchased a lovely rib roast from Central Market to be picked up on Christmas Eve. Other family members are pitching in with important things like stuffing, desserts and under-the-sea salad (a superfluous side dish that is rarely eaten, but which will incite loud protest if omitted.) With most of the traditional elements taken care of, we are  free to go crazy with the rest of the meal. Sounds like a great time to go global, wouldn't you agree?

Eating tamales on Christmas Eve has become almost as much a Texas tradition as a Mexican one, but I'll include them as Mexico's contribution to our ethnic inspired meal. No, I'm not going to make them myself. Why would I do that when I can just go pick up a dozen or so from the nice people at Jorges.

As for the rest of the meal, I'm flying without a net here. I'm a little ashamed by my ignorance regarding Christmas traditions around the world. I'm only vaguely aware of the Swedish tradition of young girls wearing a crown of candles on their heads, and I recall something about the Dutch putting wooden shoes at the end of their beds. In fact, if it weren't for American Girl dolls, I wouldn't even know this much.

So, it's for your benefit that I'm opening up my mind and adding to my workload. I can't say that my choices are highly representative of well-known Christmas traditions around the world, but, at the very least, I'm attempting to step outside my own borders of tradition. I hope to follow up after the big day with some awesome photos showing the results of my efforts, but that is contingent on whether or not Santa brings me this.

Voila, le menu.  

BEVERAGES
Glogg - Swedish or Norwegian, (depending on which diacritical mark is used), is a warm red or port wine mulled with cinnamon sticks, orange slices, cloves and sugar.

Innisfree Cabernet Sauvignon (2005) available at Twin Liquor 

APPETIZERS
Oysters are supposedly a French Christmas tradition, so I think oyster cocktails with fresh oysters from Quality Seafood Market would be tasty.

Fig and Mozzarella Salad seems foreign enough
SOUP 
BREAD

Weihnachstollen - German sweet bread  from Central Market
SIDE DISHES
Braised Russian fingerling potatoes with pearl onions, cremini mushrooms & rosemary sauce.

Maple Glazed Brussels Sprouts Are brussels sprouts from Brussels? Let's say they are.

and possibly...


How 'bout you. Do you have any unusual or ethnic traditions you would like to share? Go ahead and leave a comment. Comment like you've never commented before.

No comments:

Post a Comment