Saturday, December 19, 2009

Austin Dining Tour Guide: Best Bets For All Types of Guests

Most of us, regardless of where we live, feel a sense of ownership and pride in our city, especially when entertaining out-of-town guests. We want to show our visitors the best that our city has to offer. But that can mean different things to different people.

I discovered this recently when my son-in-law and his friend came to town for a brief one night stay. I wanted to impress them by taking them out for a great dinner, but I couldn't think of the perfect place. As I drove aimlessly down Lamar, they were getting weak and cranky from hunger, suggesting I stop anywhere that looked remotely like a restaurant, including Weed-Corley-Fish Funeral Home. I ended up choosing Shoal Creek Saloon, and it couldn't have been a more perfect choice. Sipping beer on the patio and eating good ol' chicken fried steak gave them the quintessential Austin experience I was after.

I decided to do a little forward thinking, so the next time I'm required to entertain some out-of-towners, I'll know exactly where to take them. I've created a personalized dining tour guide geared toward several different fictional characters. I included possibilities for eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe you'll recognize someone you know among these fake people. If so, you'll have some ideas on where to take them so they will leave Austin feeling satiated.


Your Daughter and Son-In-Law Visiting from Oregon
Your Dazed and Confused Ex-Boyfriend from Colorado
Your Former Partner-In-Crime-Drinking-Buddy-Turned-Vegan-Yoga Instructor
Your Two Roommates From College Whom You Haven't Seen In 20 Years
Your Former Co-Worker From Denver Who Made Fun of You For Moving to Texas
Your Wealthy, Jet-Setting Aunt and Uncle With a Fondness For Cocktails and Picking Up The Tab
Your 20-Something Niece With A Masters Degree In Art History and Keen Sense of Ironic Style

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post about ideas for different demographics you might find yourself entertaining! As a writer about entertaining in Austin myself, I have gotten some great ideas from you in this post! Keep writing...I enjoy reading and hope to cross paths with you in the local blogger community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janie, this is from a former college pal who loves to read your pieces everytime I get a chance. I can't wait to visit Austin again and try some of your top picks! Your writing is not only entertaining and informative, but it reminds me of the "you" that I knew in our younger days. Looking forward to dining and visiting with you in the future.

    Tara LeBoeuf-Hardoin

    ReplyDelete